In customer service roles it can be challenging to remain upbeat and confident on a consistent basis. All staff members in this world understand that there will be times that are difficult to overcome, customers that are rude and angry, and times that are deflating purely because it is a job that continues apace at all times.
This is why the process is so important in a customer service role. If you can get the foundation of skills correct, everything else will fall into place. Every customer service agent will encounter bad times, but if the process is sound you’ll have better results on the whole.
One aspect of customer service that is vital is remaining positive and friendly at all times. This can be hard, but there are little tips to help.
- Remain positive and never criticise the customer, complain to or about them, or condemn them. Negativity destroys relationships, whilst positivity is a bridge builder.
- Be honest with your customer. If there is a problem let them know, but also inform them you are there to do all you can to help, and set out exactly how you will help.
- Inspire the person you are talking to with positivity about the products and services your company sells.
- Be genuinely interested, asking questions where relevant.
- Remember a person’s name and repeat it to them a few times during a conversation. It makes them feel important and demonstrates that you have been listening from the very start of the conversation.
Find the perfect customer service training courses to help you develop as a professional via the Dale Carnegie course list.